So I was recently having a discussion about skincare with a few of my friends. After talking about the topic extensively I came to realise that skincare was the last thing on their minds. In fact many of them still use soap to wash off their makeup and often forget to apply moisturiser afterwards.
Having dehydrated skin myself the thought of doing those horrible things to my face makes me shudder as I know no sooner have I neglected my skin I will surely wake up with dry flaky snakeskin with crepey under eyes.
I do not want to generalise but I feel like many Muslim women (well the ones I know) do not place skincare high on their priority list. Things like sunscreen and correct cleansing are totally ignored whereas cosmetics are frequently used.
My skincare routine was very simple in my twenties as my skin was normal and non problematic, it was only after I turned thirty that I realised I had to really invest more time into my skin. My skin suddenly became drier and I started to notice tiny lines around my eyes. These lines and flakes only became more noticeable after applying makeup so I began to research natural skin care online and found the following steps and routine have really helped me combat the signs of ageing.
1) I do not think I have to delve that deeply into point number 1 as it is the most basic and effective thing you can do to slow the ageing process and that is SUNSCREEN. Here in Australia it is recommended you wear 50+ protection which is what I use. If you do not use sunscreen then it is wise you start as both UVA and UVB rays cause irreversible damage to your skin and you will only notice this damage later on in life.
2) Now that sunscreen has been addressed I can begin my routine. At the end of everyday, regardless of whether I have worn makeup or not I apply oil to my face and begin to massage key points in slow gentle motions. These areas are my forehead, my jaw, the highest point of my nose and all sinus areas. I do this for only a few minutes and it honestly feels so great as it drains the lymphatic system. My oil of choice is the Trilogy Rosehip oil Antioxidant +.
3) Once I have completed my massage I wait a couple of minutes and then apply a serum to certain areas such as under eyes, forehead and around my mouth. I love serums that contain hyaluronic acids and this Now Solutions Hyaluronic Acid Firming Serum is my current favourite and has been repurchased. What hyaluronic acid does is help your skin maintain moisture so it is perfect for ageing skin. If I have somehow skipped my skincare routine the night before I can always tell by the way my makeup sits the next morning. It is truly a miracle serum for me.
4) Finally I reapply more Trilogy Rosehip Oil all over my face and add extra drops to my under eye area and leave quite a thick layer there so that it can slowly be absorbed while I sleep. For days where my skin feels extra dry I also mix a highly emollient cream and my Rosehip oil together and apply that to my whole face and neck.
5) My final step is to apply Castor oil to my eyebrows and lashes. This oil is very thick so beware as it take a while for it to absorb but it does do wonders to my lashes. If you are a mascara lover like I am then I recommend you buy yourself some organic castor oil to nourish and strengthen your eyelashes. I love the Aura Cacia organic Castor Oil but you can use any brand you like.
6) My bonus step is to use the Aesop Blue Chamomile Facial Hydrating Masque. I use this maybe once a week as an overnight mask. I apply a liberal layer and sleep with it so that it can do its magic overnight. By morning it has totally absorbed into my skin and it feels super soft and nourished.
As you can tell my skincare routine consists of predominantly organic natural products. I try not to use too many products and try to keep things super basic and clean. Our skin is our largest organ and it also is the most absorbent so the less chemicals and rubbish we apply to it the better.
Note: You can shop everything I have mentioned by clicking the links within the post. You may also use my iherb.com discount code which is LHV251 which gives you $10 off your first order. Simply type in the code at checkout to receive the benefits. Alternatively click the iherb link on the sidebar --->